Qualification Structure

The Department of Architecture’s professional architecture program is a three degree program. The first degree is a three year Bachelor of Architectural Studies Degree (BAS) followed by a one year Bachelor of Architectural Studies Honors and one year Master of Architecture (Professional) Degree. (click on each programme for more information with regards to requirements and admisison requirements)


The Department of Architecture has a history of active research and publication, much of it related to pertinent regional issues. Research areas have included:

  • Architectural conservation studies with an emphasis on the small towns and villages of the Eastern Province.
  • Studies of the design, location and procurement of rural schools in the Eastern Cape Province.
  • Studies of the design of traditional courts for the Eastern Cape.
  • Studies of coastal architecture and development including marinas.
  • Studies of urban development issues, including housing.
  • Studies of space syntax
  • Studies of creativity with particular reference to architectural design.
  • Studies of architectural computer usage.

The Department offers a Master of Architecture (Research). The admission requirement for this degree is a M Arch (Professional) or approved equivalent such as the old five year B Arch degree. The M Arch (Research) candidate is required to submit a research dissertation. This is subjected to internal and external evaluation. Supervision of the dissertation is provided by the Department.

The Department also offers a Doctor of Architecture (more information). Candidates must submit a doctoral thesis in order to comply with the requirements for this degree.

Bursaries are available for students registering for higher degrees.


These links will take you to our official Online Prospectus where you can obtain in-depth information on career fields, rules and regulations, admission requirements, curriculum and module details, and timetable information.

This department may present modules in other general undergraduate qualifications. To view these, please visit the Faculty web site.